Saturday, May 15, 2010

Some Day We'll Find It...



Growing up and to this day, nothing in this world can bring warmth to my heart, make a smile appear on my face and make the day seem a little less bleak than a artfully assembled pile of foam rubber, felt and magic. The Muppets have always been something special, especially for me. It was a tradition in my home to sit back and let their special brand of hilarity engulf you. Life seemed easier when there was a muppet singing.



I challenge someone to sit down with the Muppets and not feel a little bit happier than before. They taught us how to read and to share on Sesame Street and how to laugh on The Muppet Show.

Behind it, or rather below it all was a dreamer, a creative genius that believed every day was a little better with some madness and hope in it
-  Jim Henson.


Twenty years ago today, Jim died. The Muppets live on, of course, in movies, commercials, online videos and our memories, but Jim himself was something special too. He inspired the best in people. To this day, I get choked up writing about his death. I was pretty young when he died and it felt like I'd lost a friend. The Muppets were like that. No matter  who you are, one of them will connect with you. They'll make you believe.

I just wanted to take a second and remember Jim and thank him for the special moments he brought to me. He's one of the reasons I write and draw, why I try to stay upbeat and look for the best in things. Why I laugh and try again. Why, despite everything, I keep dreaming.

I miss you, Jim Henson.


When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope still is to leave the world a little bit better for my having been here.  -- Jim Henson

4 comments:

Steve at Random said...

That's a nice tribute...we enjoyed watching the Muppet show when our children were younger and I remember the death of Jim Henson as well. He voiced a lot of the characters. Take care, my friend.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Great post. I have to be honest: I do not like The Muppets, but I do like and respect Jim Henson. He changed kids lives and entire generations look up to him.

The Grows said...

It is nice to be reminded of the little joys we had as children and remember that we need to re-live them as adults too.

randymeiss said...

Here's to Jim Henson. My favorites were the two cranky old guys in the theater box. They both sang a duet during one episode, "It was a very good year." Every time I hear that song I think of those two muppets. They really ran the full selection of guests on that show. Everything from Alice Cooper to John Denver.