Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Small Sigh Of Relief

Now Playing -  I've Been Everywhere by Johnny Cash

 
Life - 


Well, it's not as bad as I'd feared. A few months ago, the large chain drug store I'm a manager for announced a major management restructuring. And that was all they said. No info, no reassuring words, just a formal announcement then the sound of a zipper sliding across their lips. 

So naturally, speculation ran rampant. And I mean RAMPANT. None of us would have jobs or if we did, they'd be for less money and more work. To be frank, though I love the company I work for and it's been nothing but good to me for the last nine years, I was worried. My wife and I are finally getting our funds and debt on track and without my job, that wouldn't really happen. And there's that little matter of the fact that we not only moved 3,000 miles to Maine with the company, but we then moved even further north to Bangor, where, if my job was eliminated, I could have a very difficult time finding a replacement. 

Without saying too much, when the final, official plan was announced this week, it wasn't as bad as feared by any means, it was simply a way to restructure the company  to be in line with its current expansion. (Or lack thereof.) There's been some changes, and I do think we'll end up losing a few good folks, and had I not taken the promotion a year ago I'd have some hard work and decisions coming up, but in the long run, it will be good for us. Us being me, my family and my job. I don't know how the pay will pan out, I may end up getting a cut, but for now it sounds like everything should stay status quo around the ROUS Motel. At least as far as my job is concerned.

The only thing that bothers me about it is that the announcement made last week outlines a plan that is to take place over the next two years. Nothing really immediate, and really, there's no reason they couldn't have made some of this clear months ago and alleviated some of our stress. 

But it's over now, and we can all look to the future. Oh and for those that follow me on a closer basis than this infrequently updated blog (Less infrequent now, I hope!) knows that I was also up for a promotion to store manager. Didn't get the job, but I did, apparently impress at the interview and I'm in the store with the new manager, with their faith in my ability to help him and get our little drug corner ship-shape. It's actually kind of exciting. And not just because I get to watch this new structure from a slightly different perspective than I would have as a newly made manager.







The ROUS FAMILY -   
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Steve at Random said...

Darn, I suppose this means you won't be moving to North Dakota any time soon. Drat. But on the other hand, it's nice to have a job. Here's the deal. You keep writing and I'll keep reading. Your favorite uncle...oh what's his name.